Sunday 15 May 2011

Planking...

Yes people, I am going to mention this new phenomenon in a post *shock horror*.
I was trying to figure out what the hell this planking was about and most of all WHY? I even began lengthy discussions with my husband over it. I was quite annoyed at him for pretty much defending it. I'd ask "why??" and he'd respond with "Why not??". I was dumbfounded that people were taking the time to do this and that it was making news. I actually brought it up at a get together of some of my friends and one of their partner's pointed out that it was obviously something worthy of discussion because 'duh' I was indeed discussing it *forehead slap*. So true. I was taking the time to think about it, ponder it, analyse it and then that evening I came home and the epiphany happened. Hubby and I were playing with Liam and by accident we had Liam 'planking'. Liam's Cerebral Palsy renders his whole body very stiff at times, especially when he gets excited or tries to move. So when hubby picked him up over his shoulder Liam immediately became like a 'plank' and I squealed "wait! let me get my camera!!!" *Click* the awesome plank photo was taken and I was hooked!
It is what it is... silly, fun (as long as it is done safely and with common sense). I almost liken it to a philosophy to live by... don't take it all too seriously, don't over analyse and just remember to smile/laugh when you can.
I also think it has something to do with a sense of community, connection and belonging. Maybe society is just becoming too disconnected and people don't know how to relate to eachother anymore, and this is a way of bringing that back? maybe not...
All I can say is, kick back, relax and then lay face down, stiffen up and get your plank on bahahahahaha.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

how cute is Liam 'planking'!!! Way to go Liam. xxxx

Jacqui Honeywood said...

Naaw that's adorable! My youngest is a splanker (screams whilst planking), usually that type of planking is done in public and on a floor LOL. I much rather Liam's version though xx

Stranger Than Fiction aka Yeran said...

hahahaha 'Splanker' :-D yes Liam's is a peaceful quiet form, but I'm sure my youngest will be be 'splanking' soon xxx