Friday 27 May 2011

irony...

I am guessing this is ironic...
When I was pregnant with Jack I mentioned to some people that I felt bad Liam would be the one with a disability in the family and that he would have to watch his "normal" sibling grow up and develop before his eyes, without needing Doctor's appointments and therapy appointments. At one of my 3rd trimester ultrasounds it was picked up that Jack had 'positional talipes', so I felt Liam now wasn't the only child in our family who will need some physio therapy and I was strangely happy about this.
At a few weeks old my little Jacky had plaster casts put on his feet. That was what I thought to be the extent of Jack's 'problems'.
At four months old Jack was diagnosed with a 'hole in the heart' by our paediatrician. Once again we were ok with this. Many babies have this and it usually fixes itself. It didn't even register on my worry scale at this point... But we were sent to our local cardiologist just to check what the extent was. At this appointment we were to find out Jack has a Congenital Heart Defect and the only way to 'fix it' was Open Heart Surgery. At this point I thought "yes Jack, you have now proved that Liam isn't the only child with something different in our family and you've surpassed him in giving us a freak out!".
Nowthat Jack has his diagnosis of Autism, I can safely say Liam will not be alone in being the kid who has therapy, doctor's appointments and the rest. Oh but the irony of my earlier worries I spoke of to others is so apparent right now. You have to laugh right? Or you'll cry....

No comments: