Saturday 7 January 2012

Getting to the Point...

First I'm going to show you a photo....



















This is my son, Jack, and what we do everyday.

He takes my hand and leads me around the house. Leads me to objects, to places, sometimes to no where in particular because he lost his train of thought and forgot where he was taking me. He places my hand on what he wants. Or if it's in the distance he 'throws' my hand toward it.

Jack does not understand the concept of "pointing".

It's part of his Autism.

I was blown away when the Speech Therapist told us that Jack cannot imagine the 'invisible line' between the tip of our index finger to the object we are 'talking' about.  It is something we all take for granted.

My Evangeline has been pointing ever since she was about 8 months old. And I never get bored of it. I really appreciate the ease at which she can communicate what she wants through the use of pointing.

But I also appreciate the way Jack has tried to overcome his difficulty with communicating with me. Of course there are times where it is impossible to know what he is trying to convey and this is common in Autism. Yet when I do figure out his form of charades I think it's ingenius and rather cute.

Of course there are those days where all three of my kids need me at the same time. Evangeline squealing as she crawls towards me, Liam looking at me with eyes that beg for a drink and then Jack insists I go with him... he grabs my hand and takes me all over the house.. over and over again. It gets exhausting. But then I think. He is trying to communicate so hard. The effort. The want. It's there in spades. Yet sometimes I have to refuse his hand. It hurts to do it. But the truth is I have two other children who need attention too.

Who knew pointing was so bloody important?

Who knew it could change the development of a child?

Who knew it could affect someone socially?

I point like a woman possessed these days. I model pointing like it's going out of fashion. I relish the fact others 'get me' when I'm pointing at something and that I am not muted by my lack of understanding the concept of pointing.

Next time you see someone pointing, you are so going to think of this post, aren't you? And you are going to thank your lucky stars you can do it and understand it and that those around you do too *insert winky face*



4 comments:

Kate said...

Oh the things we take for granted. My boy has started pointing. It's a bit random but when it isn't it is awesome!

xox

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I never thought of it that way, one of my twins though he doesn't have autism insists in taking me and showing me things ...just a quirk. Surely, it is something not to take for granted.
It must be hard some days to communicate and meet all three of your cherubs needs.

Kirsty @ My Home Truths said...

I can only imagine your frustration on those occasions when you're trying to deal with the needs of all 3 kids at once. I know how hard i find it sometimes and my two with ASD are verbal so I usually know what they need (unless they're in full meltdown and then I have buckleys... ). Hats off to you Yeran - and I'm definitely never going to forget this post!

Stranger Than Fiction aka Yeran said...

Kate: that is awesome that he has started pointing! Woo!!! xxx

Trish: Oh indeed it is wonderful to have a child that can take you to things ;-) and to be keen to want to show you :-) I am very stoked he can do it. My eldest can only let me know, somewhat, that there is something he wants or needs by whinging and making eye contact. So he will never be able to point properly, but he tries to 'point' with his eyes ;-)

Kirsty: I am looking forward to when Jack is more verbal like your two :-) he has words, but it's all 'knowledge'. He knows all the colours, letters, numbers etc. But he can't ask for toast or a drink. It blows the mind!! Autism is a really intriguing 'thing' (I don't like the terms disorder or disability).